This comfort food is a staple in the Lahey household.
It’s a very fluid recipe – easily changed to make everyone happy. Simply use different veggies to suit your preferences – replace the peas and/or peppers with some green beans or mushrooms. Mix in what you like and make the recipe your own family favorite!
2 lbs Ground beef (or turkey or lamb)
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
2 medium carrots, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
½ each of red, orange and green pepper, chopped
1 cup corn (frozen or canned – but drain if using canned)
1 cup frozen peas
1 tsp Italian Seasoning – you can use instead a bit of basil, oregano, thyme, marjoram and/or rosemary,
whatever suits your fancy
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
3 packages of your favorite gravy, already prepared according to package directions (peppercorn is the Lahey family favorite but you can simply use brown gravy)
8-10 potatoes, peeled and quartered (you can use more for big potato lovers!)
Heavy cream or milk – at least ½ cup
1 stick butter
Salt and Pepper to taste
Meat and Veggie Mixture:
1) In large sauté pan, over medium heat, cook beef until it starts to brown. About 3 minutes.
2) Add the garlic and all the veggies except the peas, and cook for 5-7 minutes.
3) Add the Italian seasonings and Worcestershire sauce and cook for 1 minute.
4) Add the peas and gravy, and bring to a boil. Simmer for 3 minutes.
5) Add the salt and pepper to taste.
6) Put the mixture in a casserole baking dish with enough room to add potatoes on top.
1) Put the potatoes in a pot, cover with water and boil until tender, about 15-20 minutes.
2) Drain the potatoes and whip them with an electric blender.
3) Add the ½ cup cream (or milk) and butter, and continue to whip. Keep adding more cream (or milk) until you get the consistency you prefer.
4) Add salt and pepper to taste.
5) Lather the potatoes on the top of the meat and veggie mixture.
6) Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.